Hands Education and Outreach Overview
HANDS has an Education Department to teach young children arts and music whilst they are training to be drummers so that they, their parents and the general public can appreciate the performing arts.
HANDS’s education development includes:
• Promotion of the 24 Festive Drumming Culture
They promote 24 Festive Drumming – one of the Malaysia’s unique heritage. They have set up and design drumming classes for primary, intermediate and advance students and have compiled their teaching methods and materials into a book to standardize the teaching process. In addition, HANDS has been organizing drumming camps which provide a learning and sharing platform for their drumming students all over Malaysia. HANDS is currently coaching in 26 schools and has nurtured more than 8000 students since inception. Their ages range between 5 – 40 years, from kindergarten children to university students and there is also a team who are deaf.
• Research and Development in Percussion
HANDS wants to develop their percussive art. They take note of the various Malaysian ethnic percussive instruments available and try to know more about them as well as the different cultures where they come from. They want to include other local elements in their performances. We also hold drumming classes for the general public: adults, children, senior citizens as well as conduct team building courses.
HANDS is currently coaching in 25 schools and has nurtured more than 8000 students since inception. Their ages range between 5 – 20 years, from kindergarten children to university students.
1. Chong Hwa Independent High School, Kuala Lumpur.
2. Tsun Jin High School, Kuala Lumpur.
3. Confucius High School, Kuala Lumpur.
4. Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Yu Hua, Kajang.
5. Pin Hwa High School, Klang.
6. Cempaka International High School, Kuala Lumpur.
7. Chung Hua High School, Seremban.
8. SRJK (C) Choong Wen, Old Klang Road, Kuala Lumpur.
9. SJK (C) Serdang Baru 1, Selangor
10. SRJK (C) Damansara, Petaling Jaya.
11. SRJK (C) Chee Wen, Kuala Lumpur.
12. SRJK (C) Lick Hung, Subang.
13. SRJK (C) Yu Hua, Kajang.
14. SRJK (C) Salak South, Kuala Lumpur.
15. SRJK (C) Ijok, Selangor.
16. SRJK (C) Chung Kwok, Kuala Lumpur.
17. SRJK (C) Chung Hua, Klang.
18. SRJK (C) Puay Chai 2, Bandar Utama.
19. Deafbeat YMCA
20. Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Bintang Utara
21. Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (C) Chen Moh, Petaling Jaya
22. Kuen Cheng High School, Kuala Lumpur
23. SJK (C) Batu 14, Hulu Langat
24. SJK (C) Kuala Kemaman
25. 25. SJK (C) Pui Gin, Sandakan
26. Yu Yuan Secondary School, Sandakan
Previous coaching assignments were also at:
• Tadika Lai Meng, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.
• SRJK (C) Chiao Nan, Kuala Lumpur
• SRJK (C) Naam Kheung, Kuala Lumpur
• University Putra Malaysia
• Sekolah Menangah Tanjung Sepat
• Tadika Pandan Indah, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
The ‘Balik Kampung’ projects are an extension of the drumming camps where HANDS brings the 24 Festive Drumming culture to the kampung where the children there do not have the opportunity to enjoy and experience the performing arts. Hence, HANDS takes drumming to them at these workshops. And bring HANDS members back to the kampung, to simple village life and to be reminded as well as enjoy our cultural heritage.